Greene County Historical Society

The Greene County Historical Society was established in 1929 and received it's official charter from the University of NY in 1939.


The permanent charter of the Society states, "the object of this Society shall be the preservation of historical matter relating to the history of Greene County in particular and New York State in general, and to create an interest in all matters of historical information; collect, receive, preserve and safely keep historical records, documents, books, paper maps, manuscripts, letters, journals, relics and things which may establish or illustrate the history, growth and progress of the County of Greene and its surroundings, and to establish a Museum therein for their preservation."

 

To that end the Society:

  • Sponsors a wide variety of education programs and activities for children and adults
  • Operates the Vedder Research Library containing historical and genealogical material

  • Publishes a quarterly Journal for Society members

  • Maintains the Greene County Historical Register to document, recognize and encourage the preservation of historical structures and sites throughout the county
  • Encourages close contact with other historical societies, museums and local historians in an effort to promote awareness and wider understanding of Greene County's past

 

As a not-for-profit organization Greeene County Historical Society seeks its funding through endowments, grants, memberships and fundraising. Through this continued support, the Society is able to operate the Bronck Museum and Vedder Research Library.

 

More than 300 years 0f Upper Hudson Valley history are reflected in the cluster of architecturally significant buildings which comprise the Bronck Museum. After eight generations of Broncks had maintained the homestead as a working farm, it came to the Greene County Historical Society under the will of Leonard Bronk Lampman. This legacy is a permanent memorial to his mother Adelaide Ely Bronk Lampman, a lineal descendant of Pieter Bronck, original grantee and first builder on the land in 1663. The Greene County Historical Society maintains the Bronck Farmstead as its headquarters and as a museum to house valuable historical collections which reflect the region's history.